With New Year’s resolutions already forgotten and old eating habits kicking in, I want to share a few of my favorite healthy recipes to inspire you for Spring. I browsed on BuzzFeed and recreated 3 recipes in collaboration with VlogAfterCollege on my YouTube channel, watch it here.
Growing up, I spent most of my weekends grocery shopping in Chinatown with my dad. We would wake up around 7am just to be the first customers inside the shops. My dad would browse every store in the morning just to save 10 cents, he was dedicated to finding a bargain! I could hear the old Asian ladies yelling things like “super fresh bok choy, only 39 cents a pound or juicy pears for only 49 cents a pound!” Fast forward to 2016, I find myself roaming the aisles of Trader Joes or Safeway when I shop for produce. I rarely venture out to Chinatown because of the crowded streets and difficulty finding parking.
Even though it’s easier to just Postmates food or go out with a friend, it’s always great to have a few easy recipes up your sleeve! Make it a Vietnamese Spring Roll party or use these recipes as a fun way to change up your boring lunch routine!
I visited my local Ranch 99 and Trader Joes to buy the ingredients.
DIY 1. Fresh Spring Rolls
– Chop purple cabbage, carrot, shallots, mint, basil, and slice avocado.
– Place rice paper into warm water and soak until wet.
– Place stuffing in the center, roll and wrap like an envelope.
DIY 2. Vegan Scallops
– Slice King Mushroom into scallop sized pieces and garlic.
– Soak “scallops” for 30 minutes in cold water.
– Toss “scallops” into a hot pan with oil and garlic.
– Cook for 7-10 minutes until desired tenderness.
– Serve with hummus. Pairs well with salads or rice.
DIY 3.Polenta Fries ‘Healthier French Fries’
– Slice Polenta into rectangular pieces.
– Place on a pan and drizzle oil and seasonings.
– Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
* Serve with guacamole or other sauces.